Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

The nightmare is almost over....

First, a refresher:

Nine months ago, I joined up with a business venture with some friends of my father. This did not go well; I was ill suited for the job, a high turnover of co-workers, and stress that far outstripped my pay. I tried to quit, but due to my father being quite invested in the company and my inability to find other avenues of income, I had to return. This led to a bit of consternation between my father and I; I unfairly blamed him for getting me involved. Truth was, if I had my act together sooner, he wouldn't have felt it necessary to take such steps.

I took some hard knocks, and recently it seemed like KO after KO. But now things have changed for the better.

I found out that my campus IT department were hiring people for their computer services department. The school offers free computer services to all their students (well, free as in "paid for by that 'student fees' charge on your account"). So if you need a virus sweep, installation/upgrade/ or just some tips on using the dang-blasted thing, they are there to help. Seeing as how I already did this for free during the last fifteen years, and have been trying to get a job like this for the last eight, this was mind-blowing. Referring to the previous paragraph, if I had my stuff together sooner, I would have known about this place and tried for a job before now. But you live and learn, I say.

Our old buddy TK is already aware of my recent actions to change my fortunes. He gave me some very helpful advice on my CV, as well as some words of encouragement (between my helping with his own computer problems and his berating me into seeing some movie called Mightbreed or something).

Well, to make a long post short(er), I went in for my interview today and it looks like I have a new job!

Now I don't want to get too excited yet; I want to wait until I have documented paper in hand saying I have the job (plus I gotta drop the old one) before I do any celebrating. But I had to at least tell SOMEONE (besides my mother, who has calmed down from her previous matrimonial stance, by the way.)

So don't pop the champagne yet, and roll in the red carpet. i don't like to count my chickens before they're hatched.

But I couldn't resist tallying up a few cluckers. (Okay, I won't say that again.)

6 brain pickings:

  1. I'm not congratulating you. But you're lucky to have TK helping you with your resume. He's very good and never mocks the crazy resumes that pass by his desktop...

    And not to scare you or anything, but your having a stable job will make you a more eligible bachelor, ripe for matrimonial bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Vermillion...Go, Go, Go!!!

    You got this, buddy. Your probably blew them away with your smarts and your techstuffs and your D&D...you didn't bring that up? YOU DIDN'T BRING THAT UP?!? Dude...it's a bunch of techies...of COURSE they play!

    Speaking as the roommate of someone who did exactly the work you are more than likely embarking on...good luck, have fun with it, meet some hot college girls, don't take shit from the resident old-timers. Proud of ya, man.

    I'm surprised anything TK told you actually worked...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GWCH: Ha ha haaaa....you suck.

    Shadows: No, didn't mention the D&D. Not every techie is into the stuff, admittedly.

    And I am just as surprised as you are...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you meant to say I'm brilliant and insightful, it just came out wrong. I'll be waiting quietly in the corner in case you need and setup sabotaging advice in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you'd like this...

    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/freemanic_paracusia.png

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! Congrats Vermillion! Soon the cute office girl will be yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...